Sunday, July 5, 2015

Asian Noodle Salad

I get asked for recipes a lot, mostly because of our allergy-friendly cooking and because I like to experiment so often have interesting foods.  The problem is, I can never easily share a recipe because I am so bad at following a recipe that even if I were to give them the recipe, it wouldn't taste a thing like the one I made.  So people ask for recipes, I demur and they never get them.

This wouldn't be a problem, except sometimes I want to remake my experiments and can't because I've forgotten what adaptations I've made!  So I'm trying something new: to post a recipe when I'm asked for one - as I made it, not as it was posted.  It'll be my online recipe book, and a lazy way I can send people recipes as requested.

Here's a delicious summer salad that we've easily adapted to our gluten-free, dairy-free (currently peanut-free and other annoying-free... but I won't go there) diet.  The original recipe (probably also delicious, though I can't say I would know) is from allrecipes.com and can be found here.

My favourite thing about this salad is how flexible it is.  The dressing makes everything taste good, so whatever leftover meat is in the fridge (and even that is optional), with whatever veggies I have on hand, I can add noodles & the dressing and it's guaranteed to taste great.  It's also perfect for a potluck when everyone else is bringing coleslaw and potato salad, it stands out and adds some variety to the plates.  Enjoy!

Asian Noodle Salad (also known as leftover salad around our house)

Dressing:  In a blender, blend:
1/3 cup smooth peanut or almond butter
1/4 cup GF soy sauce (we use Loblaw's no name brand, but VH brand is probably more widely available)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar (any vinegar works)
1 Tbsp brown sugar, or 1 packet stevia
1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth
(optional - 1 tsp asian garlic-chili sauce)
salt & pepper to taste.

Salad:
1 package rice noodles, softened in hot water for 5 minutes
1-3 cup cooked chicken, canned chicken or leftover steak, cut into strips
2 carrots, shredded
5 green onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, seeded & diced (different colours)
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
2 cups sugar snap peas, chopped

No comments:

Post a Comment