Sunday, July 5, 2015

Secret Ingredient Pumpkin Nut Muffins (GF, DF, Sugar free and ridiculously healthy)

Today, I'm rocking this anti-candida diet!

Okay, that's a lie.  I HATE the anti-candida diet.  I'm only supposed to be on the strict diet for 2 weeks, then "we'll see" but I have yet to make a successful 3 days in a row.  And that's WITH stretching the definition of "strict."  (Sometimes its better not to ask).  I've found if I eat at home every meal, I'm okay - not great - but okay.  But it is IMPOSSIBLE to eat out on this diet, to eat with friends or even eat on the run.  There is no.such.thing. as fast food with this.

So in my desperation I remade one of my favourite chocolate cake recipes... into pumpkin nut muffins.  I know, not the most obvious of substitutions, but it WORKED, I LIKE it and it's (marginally) legal on this obnoxious diet  (yeah.  I'm on day 3.  Again.  For the 4th time.  Sigh.  It's going to be a LOOOONG two weeks!)  This small success made me feel like maybe I could rock this diet after all!

I fell in love with this cake recipe at a church potluck, because it was gluten free and, well, amazing.  Then I tried to make it at home, but I kept coming up with quinoa chunks in it.  Still good, but weird.  My husband swore he loved the chunks.  It was still hands down the best recipe I've had for GF cake, and I love that it doesn't use a dozen types of flour, so I actually asked for a new blender for Christmas (and broke my no-appliances-for-mom gift rule) just so I could rock this recipe.

It made no difference.  Still quinoa chunks.

Then I accidently learned the secret.  See, I'm an impatient baker.  I tried to do everything in the blender.  It doesn't work.  Then I tried doing it like the recipe said... only I could never wait long enough for the quinoa to "completely" cool.  And... I'm not overly fond of measuring, so I'd throw in scoops of quinoa.

Well, I had the genius idea to make tons of quinoa and freeze it in 2 cup batches, since I was making this cake so often.  (I'm the only GF baker in the family, so if there's a birthday, if our kids want to eat it, I'm the one making the cake.)  Suddenly I was using COLD quinoa, in exactly 2 cup measurements, and getting the smoothest tasting cake.

So.  Now you know.  Cool the quinoa - all the way.  Actually measure it.  And follow the recipe.  I know, rocket science right?  What can I say - I'm a genius.

Since I've discovered the secret I've been playing with this recipe in a hundred different ways - omit the cocoa and add extra GF flour and turn it into rhubarb cinnamon muffins.  Or how about blueberry?  I've tried chocolate raspberry and apple walnut.  Chocolate aside (because who can compete with that) this is by far my favourite so far and - YAHOO - it fits on the anti-candida diet, making it the ONLY breakfast I can keep in the freezer and just grab and go.  Definitely a winner.

SECRET INGREDIENT PUMPKIN NUT MUFFINS

2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
1/3 cup milk (or milk substitute)
4 eggs
2 tsp pumpkin spice extract (this really makes the recipe.  You could probably use vanilla and 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice but the extract - found at Target - really is fabulous)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (applesauce or sweet potato can be used as substitutes)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup xylitol (or sugar, if you're not on said CRAZY diet)
1 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tins.

Combine the milk, eggs and extract in blender or food processor.  Blend until just combined.

Add cooked quinoa, coconut oil and pumpkin puree.  Blend well until smooth (this takes a good 5 minutes in my blender).

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, xylitol, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add wet ingredients and mix well.  Add nuts.

Spoon into muffin tins.

Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

Makes 2 dozen moist, delicious muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment