Tuesday, April 8, 2014

GFDFEF Honey Oat Bread

GFDFEF... that looks like I let my 2-year old at the keyboard to write the post!  Well, I was GOING to call it Gluten Free Vegan Honey Oat Bread until I was informed that honey is NOT vegan.  Oops.  Whatev.  Even so, it's darn good bread AND my gluten free, dairy free, egg free family can eat it!

Now, it's not sandwich bread, doesn't do well as toast and is a little crumbly, but it is heavenly with (fake) melted butter beside a hearty bowl of soup on a cold spring day.  Trust me.

We first were served a GF only version of this at my parent's, and it was such a hit with my (definitely NOT GF) hubby that he immediately requested it the next day.  While we had no kitchen.  Because renovations had stalled... AGAIN.  So he got a sweet promise that once there was a kitchen to BAKE bread in, I would be happy to oblige.

We have half a kitchen, now, but with our newly introduced egg and dairy allergy, I was hungry for some hearty bread that didn't taste like cardboard, so I declared it "GOOD ENOUGH" and presented our family with a fresh loaf of this last night and a pot of ham and cabbage soup.  Mmmm.  delish!

This recipe was adapted from Yammies Gluten Freedom (and their recipe is great if you're just gluten free... but my mom adapted some to her health-conscious liking, and I adapted it more to my dairy & egg allergies... so we've strayed some from the original!)

4 cups gluten free oats
2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup corn starch (or tapioca flour)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
4 tsp ground flax
1 tsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp psyllium husks
4 large egg substitutes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Blend the oats in a food processor until they are fine.  Meanwhile, combine yeast and water and let sit for a few minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and beat until combined.  Pour into a well greased loaf pan, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled.  Place in a preheated over (350) and bake for 1 hour.  Allow to cool slightly before cutting.  Cut into thick slices and smear generously with (fake) butter and homemade jam.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment